When the glaciers receded some eighteen thousand years ago, large deposits of gravel and sand were laid down along the northeast shore of Lake Solitaire.
Through erosion over many years, the sands were dispersed by winds and water to form the beach in front of the Lake Solitaire Lodge. These shore sands stretch well beyond the main beach, north into Bauer Park and south to Reazin’s Pointe. Much of the beach sand is, however, today hidden by cedars and other forest growth which extend down to the water’s edge. The continuity of the sandy shoreline has created the longest stretch of continuous shore sand in the Muskoka region, where rock-lined shorelines generally prevail.
It is on the Lake Solitaire Beach that Gordon Hill first met his wife, Marion, around 1920 when her canoe capsized not far from the shore. The couple soon married and set about building Limberlost into a year-round recreational wilderness resort. Learn more about our history.
Since then, tens of thousands of visitors have enjoyed summer days sunbathing on the beach and swimming in the lake with its gradually sloping sandy bottom.
The large sand and gravel bar from which the Solitaire Beach was formed continues to separate Clear Lake from Lake Solitaire. The gravel material which lies in between is significant and represents a valuable source of fill for building Limberlost’s gravel-topped roads. After setting aside the topsoil, a two foot layer of gravel is being taken from the Storrie Clearing which borders Clear Lake.
Aerial view of Lake Solitaire Beach, c.1929